Tennis Teaching/Coaching Resources
Below are links to curriculum guides, lesson plans, videos, how-tos and teaching aids -- everything you will need to get tennis going in your school or in after-school and out-of-school programs.
USTA's Net Generation
Register as a Provider with Net Generation, receive equipment from the USTA and access to the new curricula developed by USTA and SHAPE America (Society of Health and Physical Educators). Teach the Sport for Life!
Net Generation PE Curricula
Net Generation Coach's Curricula
**Try our Innovative Tennis & Nutrition Immersion Formats**
BrightSTARS -- Tennis for Me! for preschoolers HERE.
Tennis Tuesdays for second-graders HERE.
USTA Physical Education Station Signs
Station signs are great tools to manage large groups in the gym or on the blacktop. Print the signs and laminate them for long-term use.
HEIGHT MATTERS . . . please make sure your students use the appropriate size racquet! And a racquet that's a little too short is better than too long!
Drills for Juniors HERE
No Tennis Courts . . . NO Problem! HERE (video)
Maximize Play Spaces for Tennis HERE
- Tennis Activity Zones
- Tennis Four-Square Zones
- Tennis Game Zones
QuickStart for Tots & Tykes (Ages 3-4) HERE
- Lesson plans for Pre-K kids
- Format has been used with Bright Stars and Head Start kids
- It's never too early to start working on motor skills and creating a love of physical activity!!!
QuickStart Practice Plans (Ages 5-10) HERE
- Original lesson plans for the QuickStart Tennis format, introduced in February 2008
- AKA 10 & Under Tennis, Youth Tennis, Net Generation (latest incarnation)
Learn to Rally & Play Practice Plans (Ages 5-17) HERE
Age-appropriate, detailed practice plans for coaches and teachers
After-School Tennis Program "How-To" HERE
- After-school instructional programs
- School Intramurals
- Sports Club model
- High School tennis teams
Kids' Tennis Club Format
A FUN format for after-school or out-of-school programming
These short videos provide a step-by-step overview.
- Video #1 (Start a Kids Tennis Club) HERE
- Video #2 (Setting up a Play Area) HERE
- Video #3 (Role of the Play Supervisor) HERE
- Video #4 (Skill-building Activities) HERE
- Video #5 (Tennis Games) HERE
- Video #6 (Sportsmanship) HERE
- Video #7 (Technique Tips) HERE
- Video #8 (Rally Modifications) HERE
"Piggy Banks for PE" Fundraiser Model HERE
- A FUN way to raise money for PE equipment and programs
- Get teachers and students involved in a FUN, competitive approach to fundraising
Coach Youth Tennis HERE
Starter Rally Practices HERE
- FREE -- Six on-line instructional videos
- 10 & Under Workshop
- Cone Toss Tennis, Big Ball Tennis, Tap Up Rally, One Cone/One Racquet Rally, Trap & Hit
- Court progression -- 1/4, 3/4 and full
The Tennis Pathway (progression from red ball to orange ball to green dot ball to yellow ball) starts in PE!