Tennis Teaching/Coaching Resources
Below are links to curriculum guides, lesson plans, videos, how-tos and teaching aids -- everything you will need to get tennis going in your school or in after-school and out-of-school programs.
USTA Physical Educators Guide for Teaching Tennis in Schools
The US Tennis Association's Curriculum Kit was developed in conjunction with renowned PE expert Dr. Robert Pangrazi and meets the standards of the National Association for Sport & Physical Education (NASPE). The kit includes a simple eight-lesson teacher’s manual, a quick-reference pocket guide, instructional DVD and CD-ROM of tennis and fitness activity signs.
- Curriculum kit is FREE with USTA Organization Membership ($35 for one year) -- click HERE
- Also available for $35 plus shipping from NetKnacks -- click HERE
- Abridged curriculum (FREE) -- click HERE
USTA Physical Education Station Signs
Station signs are great tools to manage large groups in the gym or on the blacktop. Print the signs and laminate them for long-term use.
- Fitness Signs -- click HERE
- Tennis Signs -- click HERE
***Please REGISTER your school's PE classes and/or after-school programs in the USTA's School Tennis Registry HERE. It's FREE!***
HEIGHT MATTERS . . . please make sure your students use the appropriate size racquet! And a racquet that's a little too short is better than too long!
Drills for Juniors -- click HERE
No Tennis Courts . . . NO Problem! -- Click HERE for video
Maximize Play Spaces for Tennis -- click HERE
- Tennis Activity Zones
- Tennis Four-Square Zones
- Tennis Game Zones
QuickStart for Tots & Tykes (Ages 3-4) -- click HERE
- Lesson plans for Pre-K kids
- Format has been used with Bright Stars and Head Start kids
- It's never too early to start working on motor skills and creating a love of physical activity!!!
QuickStart Practice Plans (Ages 5-10) Click HERE
- Original lesson plans for the QuickStart Tennis format, introduced in February 2008
- AKA 10 & Under Tennis, Youth Tennis
Learn to Rally & Play Practice Plans (Ages 5-17) -- click HERE
Age-appropriate, detailed practice plans for coaches and teachers
After-School Tennis Program "How-To" -- click HERE
- After-school instructional programs
- School Intramurals
- Sports Club model
- High School tennis teams
Kids' Tennis Club Format
A FUN format for after-school or out-of-school programming
These short videos provide a step-by-step overview.
Be sure to register your Kids' Club to receive some gifts from USTA.
- Video #1 (Start a Kids Tennis Club) -- click HERE
- Video #2 (Setting up a Play Area) -- click HERE
- Video #3 (Role of the Play Supervisor) -- click HERE
- Video #4 (Skill-building Activities) -- click HERE
- Video #5 (Tennis Games) -- click HERE
- Video #6 (Sportsmanship) -- click HERE
- Video #7 (Technique Tips) -- click HERE
- Video #8 (Rally Modifications) -- click HERE
"Piggy Banks for PE" Fundraiser Model -- click HERE
- A FUN way to raise money for PE equipment and programs
- Get teachers and students involved in a FUN, competitive approach to fundraising
Coach Youth Tennis -- click HERE
Starter Rally Practices -- Click HERE
- FREE -- Six on-line instructional videos
- 10 & Under Workshop
- Cone Toss Tennis, Big Ball Tennis, Tap Up Rally, One Cone/One Racquet Rally, Trap & Hit
- Court progression -- 1/4, 3/4 and full
The Tennis Pathway (progression from red ball to orange ball to green dot ball to yellow ball) starts in PE!